Tuesday, December 13, 2011

procrastination

so i'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that i'm gonna be leaving in four days. i only have one more exam left and i really am not the least bit motivated. so instead i will sit here and stare at my suitcase that i'm gonna start filling. as excited as i am to use my iphone, see my amazing friends from home, and lay down on a couch with my feet up (yep, haven't done that in almost 4 months), i don't think i'm completely ready to leave.  it's a bummer because i feel like just as i'm getting totally settled into my routine here, it's over.

random things that i'll miss most:
  • the hustle and bustle of the city. i can now definitely say that being surrounded by people and always having somewhere new to go is the kind of place i can see myself while i most likely most definitely continue to be perpetually single after college.  
  • the friends i have made on this program. lucky for me two of my closest new friends go to school at f&m, only about an hour from nova. but i really did get lucky with the people i got to know this semester and i know i wouldn't have had such a positive experience without them. 
  • the food. i know everyone raves about italian and greek food, but i'm telling you spain is where it's at. the fact that i won't see pig legs hanging from storefront windows and consuming croquettas on a daily basis is going to take some getting used to. 
  • the freedom i have to travel. the fact that i have visited four countries other than spain this semester is crazy to think about. and it has turned me into a total travel junkie. i have added so many places onto my bucket list and appreciate the importance of travel so much more after this semester. 
  • the random street performers. yes, sometimes they drive me insane or freak me out, but at other times a cute old couple playing the accordion and singing warms my heart. 
  • the night life. obviously. madrid is one of the only places in the world where it is entirely socially acceptable to stay out until people start going to work at 6am. where am i supposed to go out in america? a bar? with only one floor? and no live dj? discotecas should migrate over to the USA.
  • marisol and eduardo. doing a homestay was risky. it could have made or broken my experience here. i definitely lucked out by getting put with marisol and eduardo. they are the sweetest couple in all of spain and they really do treat me like one of their own. i need to make a conscious effort to try and keep in touch with them after i leave. 
sorry if this is sappy or whatever, but sins i want to live abroad forever. and by forever, i mean starting after villanova starts to get old around mid february and ending before christmas again next year. time to pack.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment